Avulsed tooth (tooth knocked out)
What to do when prompt treatment is necessary.
If a tooth has been knocked clean out of the mouth, it is essential to see a dentist immediately. When a tooth exits the mouth, tissues, nerves, and blood vessels become damaged. If the tooth can be placed back into its socket within an hour, there is a chance the tissues will grow to support the tooth once again.
Here are some steps to take:
1. Call our office. 630-305-7500
2. Pick up the tooth by the crown and rinse it under warm water. DO NOT touch the root.
3. If possible, place it back into its socket – if not tuck it into the cheek pouch.
4. If the tooth cannot be placed in the mouth, put the tooth into a cup of milk, saliva, or water as a last resort. It is important to keep the tooth from drying out.
5. Get to our office, quickly and safely.
We will try to replace the tooth in its natural socket. In some cases, the tooth will reattach, but if the inner mechanisms of the teeth are seriously damaged, root canal therapy might be necessary.